If you are morbidly obese, in simple worlds double your ideal body weight, weight loss may be challenging for you. In such a situation, you can undergo Bariatric Surgery. It is a safe way to lose weight quickly. This surgery is generally allowed for people with critical life situations due to obesity or BMI greater than 40.
Gastric Bypass is a type of Bariatric surgery to lose weight. It is essential to know your diet after this surgery because it may cause problems if you overeat or eat inappropriate food. So, you should consult a doctor and dietician for a specific diet plan. Here is the general diet plan for patients after Gastric bypass Surgery.
Purpose Of Gastric Bypass Diet:
This diet is designed to:
- Provide healing time to the stomach without being stretched by excessive food you eat.
- Help you to eat in a small quantity and nutritious diet.
- Help you to lose weight or at least maintain weight.
- Prevent you from the post-surgery risk and complications.
Diet After Surgery:
- Start by eating a clear liquid diet after this surgery. You have to drink only clear liquids for the next ten days.
- You shouldn’t use a straw for a drink as it brings air into the stomach and may cause pains.
- Clear liquids include sugar free, clear soup, water, fruit juices, coconut water, and lime water.
Diet After Ten Days:
- You should follow this diet for the next 3 weeks. You can eat Blend solid foods.
- It is advisable to drink liquids between meals. Drink liquid 30 min before and after meals.
- You can eat foods like skimmed milk, low-fat curd, scrambled eggs, blended veggies soup, and mashed tofu or beets.
Diet After One Month:
The diet after one month is totally subjective. If your body tolerates blended food, you start to eat semi-solid food and continue this diet for the next three months after surgery.
- You should add new food slowly and in small quantities. Eat small bites and chew it for 30 to 32 times.
- Include various foods with nutrients like low fat and low calories starches. You can eat fruits and vegetables.
- You should cook meat with low-fat cooking methods like grilling, baking, or boiling.
- Add herbs and spices in vegetables and meat for taste.
- Continue to drink clear liquids 30 min before and after meals.
- You can eat oatmeal porridge, daliya, soft fruits, pureed chicken, cooked dal, grated apple, and milk-based soups.
Avoid These Foods:
You must avoid high calories liquids because they will add excess calories, and you feel full. So, don’t drink coffee drinks, latte, cappuccino, smoothies, fried foods, alcohol, salad dressing, potato chips, cream cheese, ice cream, and whole milk. You must avoid carbonated drinks like soda as they resulted in gas and bloating.
- Drink and eat very slowly:
To prevent yourself from dumping syndrome, you should take at least 30 mins to eat meals and 30 to 60 mins to drink one cup of liquid.
- Eat small meals:
Eat several times a day, but eat in small quantity in each meal. You can start with six small meals a day and then reduce it to four meals.
- Drink clear liquids between meals:
It is essential to drink 1.9 liters of fluids in a day. But you should also maintain the timing for drinking liquid.
- Eat high protein foods:
You should eat high protein food after surgery, but consult your dietician or doctor for more details.
- Avoid high fat and sugar:
After surgery, and in general, these kinds of high fat and sugar foods are not suitable for health.
You may suffer from post-surgery risk or complications if you haven’t followed the diet as per doctor or dietician’s recommendation. The side effects include:
- Dumping syndrome:
When eats too much food / high sugar food or high carbonated food suddenly they may feel nausea, dizziness, vomiting, sweating, and diarrhea. So, overeating or eating fast will cause this problem.
When you do not drink enough clear liquids, you may suffer from dehydration. You must drink 1.9 liters of water and other fluid in a day.
If you are not taking proper liquid and proper fibre in food,
- Weight gain or failure to lose weight:
If you are still gaining weight or not losing weight after gastric bypass surgery, consult your doctor.
Give us a Call: +91-9925558543, +91-8999949999 for Surgery for Weight Loss and Say NO to Obesity with NObesity.